TRANSPORT for NSW has decided to proceed with the controversial $11 million bus interchange at Sutherland, despite outstanding concerns by Sutherland Shire Council.
The loss of 24 parking spaces for shoppers was among matters raised when department officials made a presentation at a meeting of the council’s special services and facilities committee on Monday.
Sixteen of the spaces are in Rawson Avenue, in the main commercial area, while eight are in East Parade, on the western side of the rail line.
The department officers were told that while the council believed the retention of the pedestrian crossing at the top of the East Parade up-ramp was necessary in view of a planned new commuter car park behind Sutherland United Services Club, there could be severe traffic congestion in the evening peak.
The committee decided to seek an urgent meeting with Transport Minister Gladys Berejiklian and state MPs in the area to discuss the unresolved matters.
A report by council officers said a meeting took place with the minister in July and council representatives left with an understanding that the council would be further consulted before the project was finalised.
“Despite further inquiries by council staff to this effect, no further meeting was arranged with council prior to determination,” the report said.
“On October 23, council received written notification from Transport for NSW that it has determined to proceed with the [project]”.
The report said that while some changes had been made, it was conceptually the same and the council’s main concerns had not been addressed.
Modifications included retention of the pedestrian access on the East Parade up-ramp, a new lift from the concourse to platform 1, extra kiss-and-ride spaces and more bicycle parking.
The report said previously proposed angle parking in Rawson Avenue would be converted to parallel parking, allowing the footpath to be widened to cater for diverted pedestrian flows.
That move would result in the loss of another seven time-restricted parking spaces.
MAYOR IN FAVOUR
Sutherland Shire mayor Kent Johns said the state government’s investment in a new public transport interchange was welcome.
‘‘So too is the investment in a new commuter car park,’’ he said.
‘‘There are some aspects of the set-up for pedestrians that have caused concern and we want to make sure it is as good as we can get it.
‘‘It is a terrible design going back 60 years and we are trying to fix it.’’
Do you support the plan going ahead?