The Historic Como Hotel is one of the oldest buildings in the Shire. It is an important part of The Shire’s heritage.
It was originally built for the Germans working on the construction of the railway. This hotel has had a mixture of owners & Publicans from the Catholic Church in the late 1880’s to that legend of Australian rugby league Arthur Beet son.
One of our greatest poets, Henry Lawson, lived at Como West in the years before his death in 1922 and it is believed he was a frequent visitor to the hotel, often reciting poetry in the bar. and survived the 1994 bushfires, only to fall to its demise as a result of an electrical fire on Sunday 3 November 1996.
Affectionately known as the Como Hilton, and being heritage-listed, the hotel was rebuilt between 2000 & 2001 to the same as it was before the fire. It featured the original brickwork and retained the burnt door which was salvaged from the fire in the hotel’s restaurant. That’s where the name for the pub’s Burnt Door Brassiere originated.
Como Hotel has a touch of elegance, standing in the quiet backwaters of the Georges River. With remarkable views and shady verandas, this hotel is a beautiful heritage of our Shire.
Source: The Historic Como Hotel website