The Library, which opened in 1953, was first located in a small cottage which was once a doctors surgery in Eton Street Sutherland.
Twelve years later in 1965 it was relocated to the newly constructed Council Administration building in the same street. At that time the name of the Library changed to Central Library Sutherland to reflect the increased capacity and services provided in addition to three branches located at Cronulla , Miranda and Sylvania which had been opened since 1953.
By 1990 the Library was serving a large population and a much larger facility was needed. In 1993 on the Library’s 40th anniversary the present building was opened in its current location in Belmont Street.